CARAMELIZED ONION, FIG, & GOAT CHEESE STRUDEL
Put this savory strudel on a brunch table. It is slightly sweet & can double as a dessert or appetizer.
1 - 8 oz. pkgdried figs, diced
1/2 capricot nectar
1/2 cpurple onion, chopped
1 Tbspbutter, melted
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar
1 - 4 oz. pkggoat cheese, crumbled
8sheets frozen phyllo pastry; thawed
1/4 cbutter, melted
2 tsppowdered sugar
How to Make CARAMELIZED ONION, FIG, & GOAT CHEESE STRUDEL
- Preheat oven: 350 degrees....lightly grease baking sheet pan; set aside.
Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, & boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover & let stand for 30 minutes.
- Saute onion in 1 TBS. butter & vinegar 6 minutes or until onion is deep golden. Remove from heat; stir in figs mixture & cheese. Set aside.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a damp towel (keep remaining phyllo covered). Brush phyllo with melted butter. Layer remaining phyllo sheets on top, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Spoon onion mixture lengthwise down half of phyllo stack, leaving a 2 inch border. Fold in short edges 2 inches. Roll up, starting at long edge nearest onion mixture, & place seam side down, on your prepared baking sheet. Cut 1/4 inch-deep diagonal slits, 1 inch apart, across top. Coat strudel with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Let stand 10 minute before slicing; serve warm.