Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts
Thinly sliced vegetables sautéed with bacon and onions and tossed with roasted chestnuts, thyme and lemon juice will make your taste buds perk up in a hurry!
Recipe from "The Vegetable Garden"
- 1 lb
- brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut thinly
- 1/3 lb
- thick sliced bacon or slab bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces or batons
- 1 small
- red onion, chopped
- canned roasted chestnuts from a jar, quarter or roughly chopped
- 1/4 c
- chicken stock
- 1/4 c
- white grape juice
- 1 pinch
- of thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for garnish
How to Make Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts
- 1In a large pot of boiling water put the thinly sliced sprouts, discarding the hard tip of the stem side. Boil for 2 minutes; then transfer to a bowl of ice water and chill thoroughly. Drain well.
Cut the bacon and place in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- 2When the bacon is browned, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove all but 1 Tablespoon of the bacon fat. Add the onions to the skillet and turn to high heat. Cook until the onions begin to brown, add back the bacon.
- 3Add the chestnuts and brussels sprouts to the sauté pan with the bacon and onions. Add the chicken stock and grape juice and toss to combine. Stir in the thyme, salt and pepper to taste . Cook on high heat for 3 minutes.
- 4Serve hot with lemon wedges, and squeeze a little lemon juice over the sprouts right before you eat them...Mmmm.