Brother's Tasty Grilled Cabbage
Rose Mary Mogan
Since it was the 4th of July, my daughter Briana Did this one, so she would know how to make it by herself. We took some pictures to make it a little easier to visualize the steps.
This is a great way to get your veggies in during the summer,& so tasty & flavorful too.
I put my own spin on this recipe to make the presentation more appealing.
- 3 1/2 - 4 lb
- whole cabbage
- 1 bunch
- large cabbage leaves or mustard greens, or kale for garnish
- 2 large
- red bell peppers
- 1 large
- green bell pepper half chopped, plus second half
- 1 stick
- softened butter
- 4 clove
- garlic minced or chopped
- 1 medium
- shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- chopped chive
- 2 tsp
- seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 tsp
- coarse black pepper
How to Make Brother's Tasty Grilled Cabbage
- 1You will need a 3 1/2 pound TO 4 POUND head of cabbage, Remove outer leaves to save and garnish platter if desired. You MAY ALSO USE KALE OR MUSTARD GREENS I DID HERE. If you use the outer leaves from the cabbage, they will look more attractive if the leaves are blanched( they will turn a BRIGHT GREEN COLOR AFTER BLANCHING)
- 7Now place whole cabbage on grill with the core side facing upward, over indirect coals. Close lid and cook till cabbage is done, usually about `1 hour to 1 1/2 hour, or when you press into cabbage with index finger, it leaves an indention. If you have a smaller cabbage will not require as much time, and if you prefer more crisp cabbage, it will take less time also.
- 9Beginning from center of cabbage with a sharp knife, slice down side of cabbage into desired wedge sizes. Allowing cabbage to fall in a spiral fashion as you cut onto lined platter.
- 10Now drizzle wedges with soft squeeze margarine, then sprinkle with chopped chive. Place red bell pepper strips between each wedge, and then around the center of cabbage if desired. Of course this is optional. You can even just chop a few strips and sprinkle the chopped pieces over cabbage if desired.