Black-Eyed Pea & Rice Salad
J. White Harris
Peas can be replaced by any bean on hand.
Any grain or small pasta can replace the rice.
Any combination of raw or cooked vegetables can be used.
This is great for using up leftovers too.
2 ccanned black-eyed peas, drained
2 ccooked rice
1 ccanned corn, drained
1 ccarrot, grated
1 ccelery, sliced
1/2 ctoasted nuts
1/4 mediumred or white onion, chopped
1/4 cfresh cilantro, basil, or mint
1/4 cextra virgin olive oil
·salt & ground black pepper, to taste
4 tspvinegar or lemon juice (i use seasoned rice vinegar)
How to Make Black-Eyed Pea & Rice Salad
- Drain black-eyed peas and place in a large bowl. (2 cups)
- Cook rice, and add to bowl. (2 cups)
- Meanwhile, prepare cooked and/or raw vegetables; add to bowl. (3 cups)
- Prepare raisins (1/2 cup), nuts (1/2 cup), sliced onions (1/4 onion), and chop herbs (1/4 cup); add to bowl.
- When ready to serve, drizzle salad with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; toss to coat. Add vinegar or lemon juice; toss to coat again. Adjust seasonings and serve.