Aunt Pollys Mexican Pickled Carrots
- carrots, washed, peeled and sliced 1/4-3/8 in slices
- salted water to cover
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil (mild flavored like corn oil)
- 2 qt
- vinegar 5% acid. white is best but can use apple cider
- 1 qt
- 1/2 c
- canning salt
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp
- tabasco or your favorite hot sauce. (to taste)
- hot pepper, processed in the blender with about 1/2c water (optional)
THESE AMOUNTS WILL MAKE ENOUGH BRINE FOR 12 OR MORE PINTS OF PICKLES.
How to Make Aunt Pollys Mexican Pickled Carrots
- 1Wash, peel and slice into 1/4" slices as many carrots as you want to pickle.
- 2Mix brine ingredients in a non reactive pan and heat to boiling. Taste the brine and adjust your flavorings (more vinegar Or water, more salt, garlic and spiciness to your liking) If you use the optional hot pepper, you can adjust the heat by adding more, but you cannot take any out, so I suggest you start with a conservative amount and add if you want it spicier) Keep just below boiling until needed.
- 3Place carrots in a lg saucepan or stock pot, cover with salted water and cook until crisp tender. Do not over cook or you will end up with spicy pickled carrot baby food.
- 4Drain carrots well and pack in sterilized pint jars.
- 5Pour Hot brine over and leave about 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims and place lid and ring on the jar and turn it finger tight. (Not arm wrestling here, just tight)
- 6Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes, remove and place on a towel in draft free place, let cool. When cool, check seals and store in cool dark place for at least a week to develop flavor.
- 7If there are any jars that do not seal, keep them in refrigerator and taste them occasionally. LOL
- 8I have also placed a small garlic clove in the bottom of the jars before packing or packed some rings of sweet hungarian peppers or slices of onions or sliced green peppers in with these carrots for variety