Alma's Bread and Butter Pickles
- 4 qt
- pickling cucumbers
- 1 1/2 c
- white onion
- 2 clove
- 1/3 c
- 2 qt
- ice * may need more
- 4 1/2 c
- white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- whole cloves
- 3 c
- apple cider vinegar
How to Make Alma's Bread and Butter Pickles
- 1Bleach and sterilize your kitchen sink. Run lids and jars through dishwasher by themselves.
- 2Turn oven on warm or lowest setting. Put lids and jars on a cookie sheet in oven so they will stay warm.
- 3I use my thoroughly bleached and sterilized kitchen sink to ice my cucumbers in. Makes things easier, especially with all the ice and clean up is easy. *Just use extreme caution! The sink must be totally scrubbed and bleached. Rinse very well and poor hot boiling water into sink after cleaning.
- 4Wash and slice cucumbers and onion. I slice my cucumbers medium thin and my onion into rings.
- 5Mince garlic.
- 6Put everything into one side of sterilized sink with the *sink stopper in. *It should be run through the dishwasher, then bleached and rinsed very well.
- 7Add salt on TOP of cucumber mixture. DO NOT mix in!
- 8Add ice to cover for 3 hours. Keep adding ice as needed, this is what makes them crispy and not soggy.
- 9After 3 hours drain well
- 10Drain on a dish towel on the other side of sterilized sink. Pat dry with another clean dish towel, remove as much water as you can.
- 11Now you will need a large stock pot
- 12Combine sugar, spices and vinegar. Heat to a boil.
- 13Add drained and patted cucumber mixture.
- 14Heat for 5 min on low boil.
- 15Remove jars and lids from oven.
- 16Pack into sterilized jars.
- 17Process in canner according to directions. I process 10 min. in mine and it is standard according to Ball.
- 18Take out jars and quickly add lids and caps.
- 19Cool and store
- 20*This made for me 3 quarts and 7 pints. But everyone's is different and depends on number of cucumbers etc.
- 21This recipe is easiest in small batches. Enjoy
- 22If this is your first time canning I suggest you get a canning book by Ball. It is not very hard and you will enjoy your new found skill so very much! Make sure you have all utensils and everything ready and sterilized. Sterilization is of extreme importance, remember that and you will be just fine !