Zucchini Tomato Rice Gratin
This is involved, but SO worth the effort! I will be quadrupling this recipe in the future! It is that good!
1 ccooked, cooled rice
·olive oil for pans and 1 teaspoon for rice
3medium zucchini,sliced thin
2large tomatoes, sliced thin
1medium onion, sliced thin
2large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tspdried thyme
1/2 cfreshly shredded parmesan or asiago
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Zucchini Tomato Rice Gratin
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
Brush 2 large baking trays with olive oil to cover bottoms of pans.
- Thinly slice the zucchini,tomatoes and onion. If you have a mandolin slicer, it is easy. If not, try to keep them thin and uniform.
- Place sliced zucchini and tomatoes on top of the oil covered sheets. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Roast in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until they start to wilt. Flip over the zucchini slices. You can leave the tomatoes alone. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or so, until they just start to brown around the edges. Take out of oven.... leave oven on, and drain zucchini on paper toweling if needed. Again, the tomatoes dont have to be drained. (too messy) :)
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat up about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot. Saute onion slices until transparent. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- In the same pot, add the cooked chilled rice,eggs,thyme,1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/4 cup of the asiago cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Dont be shy with the pepper!
- In a small casserole dish or cast iron skillet, layer half of the rice mixture on bottom of dish. Then 1/2 of the roasted zucchini. The rest of the rice, the rest of the zucchini and then the tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake on top rack for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.