Simply Rustic Greens
Bagged pre-washed greens of your choice make this so easy.
I use raw sugar because it cuts through any bitterness of the greens without adding too much sweetness.
You can use water or broth for steaming/wilting. I use water.
I have served this as a main dish with corn bread and as a side with fish. A family crowd pleaser.
- small amount of oil for sautéing
- 1 small
- onion, diced
- 1+ lb
- ham, roughly diced
- 1 Tbsp
- white vinegar
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 lb
- washed collard or other greens, can use mixed. roughly chopped, hard stems removed
- up to a cup of water or preferred broth, as needed
- raw sugar or sweetener, i used about 2 tsp, use more or less depending on type of greens and sweetener used
- seasoning mix of choice, to taste. i used a large pinch of creole
How to Make Simply Rustic Greens
- 1In a LARGE heavy bottomed pot, sauté onion in oil until they start to turn translucent.
Add ham and heat through.
Stir in vinegar and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook for a few minutes.
- 2Add enough of the greens to fill pot. Add water or broth as needed to steam greens. Cover and steam until well wilted. Add more greens as they wilt until all are in pot. Add water or broth, if needed, as you go.
- 3Once greens are all wilted stir in sugar and seasoning mix. Simmer, covered, for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water or broth as needed.