Ratatouille - The French Way
1/4 colive oil
3 mediumonions sliced (3 cups sliced)
2 cloveminced garlic
1eggplant (about 1 pound) peeled and cubed
1large red bell pepper, seeded and cut in strips
1large green bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips
1 1/2 lbfresh tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped or 1-28 oz. can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
3/4 lbzucchini sliced
2 Tbspfresh mixed herbs such as parsley, thyme, and basil
·salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsppepper flakes (optional)
How to Make Ratatouille - The French Way
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is transparent.
- Add eggplant and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add red and green peppers and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, herbs and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- May be served as a side dish or over pasta or rice. Tastes good hot or cold. Even better the second day after flavours have had time to blend. May be frozen.