Kvasheni Ohirky (Cossack Dill Pickles)
There is no 'cook time' just the fermenting period which lasts 10-12 days undisturbed.
Found at Celtnet.
- garlic cloves, bruised
- dill weed sprigs, chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- alum (or 3 cherry leaves)
- 120 g
- coarse salt
- black peppercorns
- 4 1/4 kg
- cucumbers (small, unwaxed)
- 4 l
How to Make Kvasheni Ohirky (Cossack Dill Pickles)
- 1Wash and dry the whole cucumbers then cover with ice water and set aside for 5 minutes. In the meantime, scald a 4 liter glass jar (or two 2 liter jars) in boiling water to sterilize.
- 2Place the cherry leaves (or alum) in the base of the jar then place a layer of cucumbers inside before adding a few of the garlic cloves and a little of the dill. Repeat this layering process until all the ingredients have been used.
- 3Bring 4 liters water to a boil, add the salt and pour over the cucumbers in the jar.
- 4Cover with a plate and set aside to sit in a cool, dark, place to ferment (do not put a tight lid on, or the jar could crack!). The pickles will be ready in about 10 to 12 days, then the jar can be sealed.