CHEESY SQUASH CASSEROLE
5 cdiced yellow squash (about 5 medium)
1 cdiced onion (1 large)
2 Tbspsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 tspground black pepper
1 1/2 ccrushed saltine crackers (about 3/4 of a sleeve)
2 1/2 Tbspwhole milk
2 1/2-3 cgrated extra sharp cheddar cheese (divided into 1 1/2 c. & 1 c.)
How to Make CHEESY SQUASH CASSEROLE
- Uncover, stir, make "a well" in center, recover and microwave 3 minutes more.
- Repeat step number 2.
- While squash drains, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; add butter to the hot casserole dish, then tilt and swirl to melt butter and coat dish.
- Add well drained squash and onions to dish and stir to mix with butter.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and mix well.
- Smooth down, wipe edge of dish if needed, and evenly cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake on middle rack for 1 hour (rotating dish after 1/2 hr.) until bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.