CHEESY SQUASH CASSEROLE
- 5 c
- diced yellow squash (about 5 medium)
- 1 c
- diced onion (1 large)
- 2 Tbsp
- salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 c
- crushed saltine crackers (about 3/4 of a sleeve)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- whole milk
- 2 1/2-3 c
- grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (divided into 1 1/2 c. & 1 c.)
How to Make CHEESY SQUASH CASSEROLE
- 2Uncover, stir, make "a well" in center, recover and microwave 3 minutes more.
- 3Repeat step number 2.
- 5While squash drains, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; add butter to the hot casserole dish, then tilt and swirl to melt butter and coat dish.
- 6Add well drained squash and onions to dish and stir to mix with butter.
- 8Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and mix well.
- 9Smooth down, wipe edge of dish if needed, and evenly cover with remaining cheese.
- 10Bake on middle rack for 1 hour (rotating dish after 1/2 hr.) until bubbly and beginning to brown.
- 12Cover and refrigerate leftovers.