Mexican Potato Omelet
- 2 tsp
- extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 c
- frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 4 1/2 oz can(s)
- chopped mild green chiles
- 4 large
- 1/2 tsp
- tabasco hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp
- salt or to taste
- freshly ground pepper or to taste
- 1/2 c
- grated pepper jack shredded,cheddar cheese or mexican blend
- 1/4 c
- chopped scallions
- 1/4 c
- coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
How to Make Mexican Potato Omelet
- 1Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown,shaking the pan and tossing the potatoes from time to time,3-5 minutes. Stir in chiles and transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- 2Blend eggs,hot sauce,salt and pepper with a fork in a medium bowl. Stir in cheese, scallions,cilantro(or parsley)and the potato mixture. Set a rack about 4 inches from the heat source. Preheat the broiler. Brush the pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Heat over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and tilt to distribute evenly.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the bottom is light golden,lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath,3-4 minutes. Place the pan under the broiler and cook until the top is set,1 1/2-2 1/2 minutes. Slide the omelet onto a platter and cut into wedges.