Irish Mash Potato aka "Champ"
-- The Irish have a very special delicious way way of serving Mash Potato, and its called "Champ" a mixture of potato and spring onion. This is my family's recipe for this dish. We always have it with our Sunday Dinners or especially with Boiled Corned Beef or Bacon.. This is so tasty you could sit back and eat a big bowlful of it on its own. Real comfort food
Hope it brings back some memories Bob
- 2 lb
- potatos, chopped and quartered
- 1 c
- large bunch spring onion chopped finely
- 1 stick
- melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- mayonaise (my family's recipe) yon can use any mayonaise that you prefer
How to Make Irish Mash Potato aka "Champ"
- 1Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain and remove from the pan. Mash thoroughly and add melted butter
- 2Boil the milk and add to the potato, together with the spring onions.
- 3Season and stir well. Just before serving add a dollop of Mayonnaise. (you can leave this out if you wish)
This is delicious served with meats