Recipe: Traditional Scottish Cookery
- 1 lb
- potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb
- turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp
- beef drippings, butter or margarine
- 1 small
- onion, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- snipped fresh chives
- a knob of butter or margarine
- 1 sprig(s)
- parsley to garnish
How to Make CLAPSHOT
- 1In a large pot, boil the potatoes and turnips about 15 minutes or until tender; drain and return to the pot. Stir over a low heat until dry. Mash the vegetables together.
- 2Melt the drippings, butter or margarine in a skillet and saute the chopped onion for about 3 minutes until soft but not browned.
- 3Stir the onion into the vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives. Stir in a knob of butter or margarine and garnish with parsley.
- 4Serve as a side dish with any meat or fish.