CHEESY CHEDDAR AND SPINACH MASHED POTATOES
Recipe & photo: cooking.com
6 lgyukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cchicken broth
4 Tbspbutter, softened
2 Tbspolive oil
1vidalia onion, thinly sliced
4 clovegarlic, finely chopped
1 pkg(11 oz.) baby spinach
1-1/2 cshredded cheddar cheese
How to Make CHEESY CHEDDAR AND SPINACH MASHED POTATOES
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and return to pot.
- Add the milk, broth, butter and 3/4 tsp. salt. Mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until very tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the spinach in batches and cook until spinach is wilted and any liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Spread half the potato mixture into a sprayed 2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the spinach mixture and half of the cheese. Top with the remaining potato mixture, the remaining spinach mixure and the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 400º oven until the filling is heated through and the topping is browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.