Fireman Bob's Linguini with Shrimp and............
Fireman Bob's Linguini with Shrimp, Blue Cheese, Cilantro, and Lime Sauce
- 1/2 c
- pecans chopped. (pine nuts can be used, but are pricy)
- 10 to 12 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 8 clove
- garlic, sliced - thin
- 2 bunch
- cilantro, stems removed
- limes - juice from all 3 limes and the " zest " from one whole lime.
- 2 large
- red onions, chopped - fine
- 2 lb
- 6 Tbsp
- 6 Tbsp
- 2 c
- milk - whole
- 2 1/2 lb
- shrimp, washed, peeled and de-veined
- 8 to 10 oz
- blue cheese - crumbled
- 3/4 Tbsp
- red pepper flakes - crushed
- 4 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- white pepper
- 2 large
- plum tomatoes, seeded - diced fine
How to Make Fireman Bob's Linguini with Shrimp and............
To make the cilantro pesto. Begin by toasting the nuts in a small skillet over medium heat. *** Watch constantly, they can burn easily and fast!
- 2I like to lightly saute the garlic in the oil - the garlic mellows a little and it flavors the oil. Slice the garlic thinly and saute in 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil over medium low heat for about five minutes. The garlic should soften. *** DO NOT let it get brown or get crispy.
- 3Meanwhile roughly chop the cilantro and zest one lime. *** Set aside a small amount of cilantro for a garnish.
- 4Combine the toasted nuts, cilantro, lime zest, the juice of the 3 limes, and the sauteed garlic into a food processor.
Use the oil the garlic was cooked in and add slowly to the food processor to make the pesto.
Blend, adding oil as needed. *** Consistence is a pesto that just holds together, and not creamy.
- 5Place 4 tablespoons of oil and the red onion in a large pan over medium heat. You want to lightly caramelize the onions.
The onion should turn slightly brown, but be careful not to let them burn.
While the red onions are caramelizing, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 6Take a LARGE stock pot, fill with water add 4 tablespoons salt, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and place on the stove for the pasta.
Cook the pasta till aldente. ( half way done ) Before you drain it, reserve 2 cups of the salted pasta water.
- 7Put the pasta in a LARGE Bowl, and drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top, cover with foil to keep warm.
- 8Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, combine the flour with the butter and let it cook for a couple of minutes. *** Once again watching closely.
Pour in 1/2 cup at a time, of the reserved pasta water and whisk out any lumps.
Add the milk and pesto and whisk until smooth.
- 9Add 6 ounces of the blue cheese, the peppers, caramelized onion, white pepper, and shrimp and cook until the sauce is reduced and the shrimp are cooked through and opaque. *** If needed, add more of the reserved pasta water.
- 10In a large bowl toss the pasta with the sauce and the shrimp.
Garnish with blue cheese crumbles, chopped cilantro, and the diced tomato.
- 11Serve immediately with a Hearty Crusty Bread.