Zucchini and Cheese Bake
- 1 large onion, sweet
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind
- 500g zucchini, grated, excess moisture removed
- 225g haloumi, shredded
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 125g (3/4 cup) spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp dried mint leaves
- 1 tsp dried parsley
How to Make Zucchini and Cheese Bake
- 1Preheat oven to 190C and grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 square cake pan.
- 2Thinly slice one-third of the onion into rings and set aside until needed.
Chop the remaining onion and the fresh mint leaves, reserving 1 tbsp of the mint leaves. Set aside
- 3Add 1 tbsp of oil, chopped onion, garlic and lemon rind, to a frying pan over med low heat. Stir for 5 min or until soft.
- 4Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl, add the zucchini, Haloumi and chopped fresh mint, season with salt (optional) and pepper.
- 5Whisk the eggs and remaining oil in a bowl. Add the flour and baking powder and whisk until smooth.
Now add this to the zucchini mixture, and mix it, then spoon it all into the prepared pan.
Top with the reserved onion rings and fresh mint. (1 tbsp)
- 6In a bowl add the pine nuts, sumac, sesame seeds dried mint and dried parsley mix together and sprinkle over the cake.
- 7Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes then serve.