Le Bouilli De Chez Nous
This Bouilli from Quebec, contains tender young vegetables, at their most flavorful best. The threading of the beans together facilitates serving and is the trick of many Quebecois homemakers.
- cup shortening or chicken fat
- 5 - 6 lb
- whole nutmeg
- tbsp of cognac or cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- tsp thyme
- 1 lb
- salt pork
- large onions, chopped
- cup finely chopped celery leaves
- tbsp salt
- tsp savory
- small, young cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- new carrots
- small onions
- new potatoes
- 2 lb
- fresh wax beans (yellow)
- tsp salt
- cup butter
- tbsp cognac
- cup chopped parsley
- cup chives or green onions
How to Make Le Bouilli De Chez Nous
- 1In a large saucepan melt, 1/4 cup of shortening or chicken fat.
- 2Rub skin of chicken with 1 whole nutmeg (ground), then brush the chicken inside and out with 3 tablespoons cognac or cider vinegar and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- 3Brown chicken on all sides in melted fat.
- 4Add sufficient water to cover and add the following: salt pork, onions, celery leaves, salt and savory.
- 5Cover and simmer for 1 - 1/2 hours, or until chicken and pork are almost tender.
- 6Add cabbage, carrots, small onions, potatoes.
- 7Thread together in serving portions the wax beans. Add 1 tsp salt to a pot of water and add the beans to the pot.
- 8Cover, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- 9To serve, arrange the chicken in center of platter and surround with all the vegetables, removing thread from beans if desired.
- 10Now for the sauce, melt 1/2 cup of butter and stir in the cognac, parsley, chives or green onions.
Serve the sauce on the side.