GARLIC CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE II
1 ccrushed cornflakes
1 1/2 Tbspsalted butter, melted
FOR THE GRITS:
2 1/4 cwater
1/2 cquick cooking grits (not instant)
4 Tbspsalted butter, room temperature
1 ozcream cheese, room temperature
4 ozamerican cheese loaf (velveeta), shredded
12 ozsharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tspgarlic powder
1/4 tspseasoned salt
1 largeegg, lightly beaten in a liquid measuring cup
1/3 cmilk (approximately), added to egg to make 1/2 cup total
How to Make GARLIC CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE II
- Gather and prep all ingredients. Lightly butter a 2 quart casserole; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, pour melted butter over cornflake crumbs; toss with fork to coat; set aside.
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 2 or 3 qt. saucepan, add water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add grits; lower heat to medium low and continue stirring for 7 to 8 minutes (grits will be very thick.)
- Remove from heat; stir in 4 Tbsp salted butter, 1 oz cream cheese, 4 oz american cheese loaf and 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese until completely melted (may return to low heat to speed melting, if necessary.)
- Add garlic powder and seasoned salt; mix well.
- Off heat, add egg and milk mixture; mix well, until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Evenly sprinkle top with buttered cornflake crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour. (If, at any point, cornflakes seem to be browning a bit too much, cover loosely with foil.)
- Remove from oven and let rest (very important) for at least 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.