How to Make Latkes (Grated Potato Pancakes)
- Peel and grate potatoes into a mixing bowl. Squeeze out liquid.
- Peel and grate onion into potatoes. Add eggs, flour, and salt and stir to make a smooth batter that will drop heavily from the spoon.
- Put the shortening or oil in a heavy frying pan using enough to cover the pancakes amply. Drop the batter from a spoon into the hot shortening, making pancakes 3 inches in diameter. Fry over moderate heat until brown on the underside, turn to brown the other side.
- Lift out and drain off excess fat on paper towel. Pancakes fried in deep fat should be puffed and crisp.
- These pancakes may also be baked in a shallow baking pan for 45 minutes at 350°F until nicely browned. Cut into squares and serve hot. They may also be put into a well greased small muffin pan and baked 45 minutes at 350F.