Candied Sweet Potatoes
- sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3/4 stick
- 1 1/4 c
- 1/2 c
- orange juice, fresh
- 1 c
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract or orange flavoring
- 2 - 3 dash(es)
- yellow food coloring (optional)
How to Make Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 1Prepare sweet potatoes by peeling and cutting into chucks. Set aside.
- 2Combine sugar, water, orange juice, butter and salt in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and add sweet potatoes. Bring back to a boil then lower heat but maintain a simmer "boil" of syrup. Stir occassionally and baste the potatoes with sauce. Add the food coloring for visual effect. Cook until potatoes are tender (add more water if syrup is too thick). Serve!
- 3Note: Double syrup recipe for a large batch of potatoes.