Mushroom and Barley Pilaf
2 cfresh, sliced mushrooms
4green onions, sliced
1 mediumcarrot, shredded
1/8 tspgarlic powder
1 Tbspbutter or margarine
14 ozchicken broth
1-1/2 cquick cooking barley
1/4 tspblack pepper
16 oz. package snow pea pods
How to Make Mushroom and Barley Pilaf
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter or margarine over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, green onions, carrot and garlic powder and heat until mushrooms are tender.
Stir in chicken broth.
Add barley, sage and pepper. Bring to boiling.
Cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place frozen pea pods in colander and run cold water over them for 1 or 2 minutes, until thawed.
- Stir pea pods into the barley mixture. Cover.
Let stand for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. (Pea pods will be nice and crispy!)
- Transfer to serving bowl.