Diabetic Fresh Tomato and Basil "Guy Pie"
- 2 c
- heart smart bisquick baking mix
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- smart balance light butter spread
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 pkg
- fresh from farm or
- 1 pkg
- (large package) shreaded low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 c
- light mayonnaise
- handful fresh basil
- 4 oz
- naufanchel cheese (light version of cream cheese)
- seeded hot pepper (according to your taste, i use serrano or jalapeno)
- medium sized red onion, skinned and cut into quarters
- 1 dash(es)
- fresh garlic & black pepper
THE BOTTOM LAYER
How to Make Diabetic Fresh Tomato and Basil "Guy Pie"
- 1Preheat oven to 350. I use foil deep dish pie pans you can buy in the baking section of the super market. This pie comes out great so the recipe is for two of them with intention of taking one of them someplace ~ If using a glass pie plate, may need to adjust baking time.
With a fork, mix the crust ingredients. If too moist, add a tad more Bisquick. Combine completely using hands if you choose then divide in two and spread in bottom and up sides of two pie plates.
- 3BOTTOM LAYER:
Thinly slice the tomatoes and layer on bottom of crusts dividing evenly between the two pies. Divide the cheese and sprinkle over tomatoes.
Put filling ingredients into a blender and blend on "liquefy" mode. Pour half carefully over each tomato/cheese layer and spread out evenly to sides with spachula or spoon.
- 5Place pies -- not touching -- in preheated oven on bottom half of oven. This is important for proper cooking through of the pies.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes testing after 30. Pies are done when slightly browned on top.
Cool on wire rack. Serve warm but also great the next day cold ~
- 6For those who are diabetic, my approximation is that one third of a pie -- which would be two nice slices -- would be about 27 grams of carbs.