The family owned a houseboat and always had plenty of fresh fish and they willingly them shared with others.
- 10 lb
- tomatoes (peeled, and diced)
- 5 large
- peaches (peeled, deseeded, diced small)
- 12 large
- lemons (juice and zest, no seeds)
- 10 lb
- sugar (more or less... read directions)
How to Make Tomato Honey
- 1Prepare the tomatoes and peaches by putting them in boiling water until the skins slide off easily. Remove pits from peaches. Cut both fruits up and put into large stainless steel kettle along with the zest of the lemons.
- 2Cook over medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low heat. Stirring constantly, for 20 minutes. Line a colander with a few layers of cheese cloth. Set this over a large pan and allow to drain completely. Squeeze to get all the liquid. Measure the liquid as you put it back into the stainless steel kettle.
- 3For every two cups of liquid, add the juice of 1 lemon and 1 pound of sugar.
- 4Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly, boil until the liquid thickens like jelly (about 1/2 hour). Pour into hot sterilized pint jars to 1/2 inch from the rim of the jars. Wipe the rims with sterilized hot cloth. Place lids and rings. Set on a towel lined surface to cool and seal for 24 hours before putting in the pantry for storage.
- 5This looks and tastes like honey, and can be uses as you would honey.