Orange Essence Pear Butter
I love pears, they may be my favorite fruit. This is just one more way to enjoy them.
Be sure your pears are fully ripe, but not too soft or the sugars will be breaking down and it won't be as flavorful.
How to Make Orange Essence Pear Butter
- 1Remove stems from pears and cut in half lengthwise. Slice thinly. Place in a pot large enough to hold, and add the pear nectar or apple juice. I highly recommend using pear nectar for this recipe.
- 2Zest the orange and add zest to the pears. Squeeze the juice from the orange into the pot also. Then, chop up the remaining pulp and add it to the pot.
- 3Bring this to a boil, then lower heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Keep heat low. Pears should be very soft and mushy. Allow to cool slightly, then put through a food mill to get rid of the seeds and other debris.
- 4Place the pear puree in a medium crock pot, to fill at least 3/4 full. Cook on high, with lid vented, 6-8 hours. Stir often to move the cooked part on the outside to the inside.
- 5When pear butter is thick and holds its shape on a spoon, add the sugar and nutmeg. Continue cooking 1 more hour.
- 6Pack into hot sterilized jars or freezer containers. May process in a boiling water bath if desired, or just refrigerate or freeze. Makes 3 & 1/2 one-cup jars.