Onion Bacon Jam
We live to use it on grilled cheese, burgers, baked Brie, crackers, breakfast sandwiches, in casseroles, add to sour cream with onion powder and make AMAZING French onion dip.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
(Should keep about 3 weeks in the fridge in a mason bar or sealable container.)
- 2 1/2 lb
- yellow onions
- 2 Tbsp
- salted butter
- 12 oz
- maple bacon
- 4 Tbsp
- white sugar
- 1/2 c
- dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- To taste
- fresh black pepper
How to Make Onion Bacon Jam
- 1Dice up your bacon (easier if it's still cold) and throw it in over medium heat to crisp it up.
- 2Remove skin from onions, cut in half and slice thinly. (Checking bacon periodically to ensure it doesn't burn)
- 3Once crispy remove bacon from the pan and set aside on a paper towel and dump out about half of the grease.
- 4Add butter to the pan, when it's melted, add your onions stirring every few min.
- 5It takes about 30 min to gets the onions to start to caramelize
- 6Once they start to turn golden add your salt and pepper. Let cook about 5 min.
- 7Add your sugars and cayenne
- 8Keep stirring until everything is melted and incorporated.
- 9Add your molasses and bacon cook 5 min and taste. Adjust sweetness to your liking.