Onion Bacon Jam
We live to use it on grilled cheese, burgers, baked Brie, crackers, breakfast sandwiches, in casseroles, add to sour cream with onion powder and make AMAZING French onion dip.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
(Should keep about 3 weeks in the fridge in a mason bar or sealable container.)
2 1/2 lbyellow onions
2 Tbspsalted butter
12 ozmaple bacon
4 Tbspwhite sugar
1/2 cdark brown sugar
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
To tastefresh black pepper
How to Make Onion Bacon Jam
- Dice up your bacon (easier if it's still cold) and throw it in over medium heat to crisp it up.
- Remove skin from onions, cut in half and slice thinly. (Checking bacon periodically to ensure it doesn't burn)
- Once crispy remove bacon from the pan and set aside on a paper towel and dump out about half of the grease.
- Add butter to the pan, when it's melted, add your onions stirring every few min.
- It takes about 30 min to gets the onions to start to caramelize
- Once they start to turn golden add your salt and pepper. Let cook about 5 min.
- Add your sugars and cayenne
- Keep stirring until everything is melted and incorporated.
- Add your molasses and bacon cook 5 min and taste. Adjust sweetness to your liking.