Lynda's Favorite Zucchini Hot Dog Relish
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I have enjoyed relish all my life. But, I don't think I have ever had one with zucchini in it so this recipe intrigued me. I loved it! The flavors are tasty and it really gave my hot dog an extra zing. I can't wait to try it on beans and vegetables. The Test Kitchen
- 10 cups gruond zucchini (skin on)
- 4 tablespoons salt (i use pickling)
- dash of garlic salt (to your taste!)
- 4 cups ground onion (i like vidalia's!)
- 1 large chopped red pepper
- 5 cups of sugar
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (black or white)
- 1 large chopped green pepper
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of celery seed
How to Make Lynda's Favorite Zucchini Hot Dog Relish
- 1Grind 10 cups of Zucchini and place in large pot (with a lid) add the salt and garlic salt, cover with cold water and soak overnight. (I add lots of ice cubes and place pot in a cool place. If not, put it in the fridge!)
- 2The following morning, drain and rinse well in a large colander. Return to pot and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Seal in jars while the relish is very hot.
- 3Place jars in canning pot and cover with water. Boil the submerged jars for at least 15-20 minutes to make sure seals are airtight. Remove jars from canning pot with tongs and place on a towel in your sink until they cool (this prevents jars from cracking).
- 4After opening a jar of relish, store opened jars in the fridge!