Mom-Mom's Cacciatore Sauce
This recipe has been in my family for generations. The best part about cacciatore is that it's very versatile for a lot of different things. Roughly translated to English, it means "Hunter's Stew." Hunters in Italy used to make this hearty stuff all the time, especially during the harsher winter months.
I have made this with everything from chicken all the way to tofu for my vegetarian friends. The best part? You just put it on the stove and walk away, letting your whole house fill up with the delicious smell. I hope you love this as much as me! ?
- 1 lb
- mushrooms, sliced
- medium to large yellow onion, diced
- small yellow and red bell pepper, cored and seeded, diced
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- 1 c
- white wine
- 14 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 bag(s)
- fresh spinach
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil and oregano, to taste
How to Make Mom-Mom's Cacciatore Sauce
- 1-NOTE: Once you've cooked whatever meat/veggie you're going to use in a large, deep skillet, you can just begin making the sauce in that after taking everything out.-
- 2Drizzle a large, deep skillet with a fair amount of olive oil. Add vegetables, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and saute for 5 minutes.
- 3Add in your wine, and allow it to reduce. (This usually takes 5-6 minutes, but I personally like a stronger wine taste in my sauce when I make it, so you can leave it stronger if you choose.)
- 4Once the wine has had a chance to reduce, add in your chicken broth, spinach, and your crushed tomatoes. Give it a good stir. Toss in about 1 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp. of pepper, and about 1 Tbsp. chopped basil and oregano.
- 5At this point, if you've previously cooked some sort of meat, put your meat back into the sauce, and be sure that it's covered.
- 6Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for a few hours or until meat is fall-off-the-bone tender. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if you wish.
- 7Best served with pasta, warm crusty bread or a creamy, cheesy polenta. Enjoy! ♥