Zesty Red Onion Preserves
Recipe from the Ball Canning Blue Book
- 1 c
- red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp
- lemon zest
- 3/4 c
- white vinegar
- 3 c
- pouch certo liquid pectin
How to Make Zesty Red Onion Preserves
- 2In a large deep stainless steel saucepan combine red onion, lemon zest, and vinegar. Stir in sugar and over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
*TIP: You can microwave the onion skins in the vinegar to help give the finished product a richer color, or add drops of red and blue food color until you get the desired color. I use food color.
- 3Stir in pectin. Boil hard, continuing to stir, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off any foam.
- 7*Notes: When I first made this I increased the recipe 7 times.
When you multiply a recipe by this much the end product may not set up exactly as a single batch. That being said, I really like the end product of the large batch because it has a thick preserve-like texture. If you want it firm like jelly I'd recommend adding more pectin or making a smaller batch.
7 cups lg red onions, minced, about 5 large onions
zest of 2 lg lemons
6 1/2 C white vinegar 5% acidity or higher
21 cups white sugar (this is not a typo)
7 pouches of Liquid Certo pectin