Strawberry, Mint and Black Pepper Jam
- 2 lb
- strawberries, fresh
- 5 1/2 c
- black peppercorns, whole, finely ground
- mint leaves, fresh
- 1/8 tsp
- butter, unsalted (to keep foam down)
- 1 pkg
- fruit pectin, powdered (optional)
How to Make Strawberry, Mint and Black Pepper Jam
- 1Wash, hull and halve or quarter strawberries depending on size. Place strawberries in a glass bowl. Add sugar. Zest both lemons and juice them. Add zest and juice the strawberries. Gently combine ingredients, cover bowl with parchment paper and refrigerate over night or a bare minimum of 12 hours. It's best to leave them for 24 hours.
- 5Add reserved fruit, mint, black pepper and butter to the syrup. Continue to boil, stirring gently, for eight minutes. Remove from heat. Check for set by placing a small amount of the mixture on a saucer and placing in the freezer for a few minutes. If mixture gels, it is done. If not, return to a boil. Cook for one minute, remove from heat and check again.