Stone Fruit Preserves
I have also used plums and nectarines in this recipe. So take your pick and getting to making your own preserves today.
Sugar and lemon juice combine with fruit pectin to thicken preserves as they cook. When the fruit is overly ripe and juicy, or you add a different type of fruit, the mixture may take longer to thicken to a syrup-like consistency. Simply continue to cook at high power at 1 minute intervals.
- 4 1/2 c
- peeled and diced peaches (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 1/2 c
- 3 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice
- 1 pkg
- (1.75-oz) powdered fruit pectin
How to Make Stone Fruit Preserves
- 1Stir together all ingredients in a 4 quart microwave-safe glass bowl.
- 2Microwave at high for 8 minutes (mixture will boil). Stir mixture, and microwave at high 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. (You're going for the viscosity of pancake syrup here. The mixture will thicken to soft-set preserves after it cools and chills.)
- 3Cool mixture completely (about 2 hours). Serve immediately, or cover and chill preserves in an airtight container until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.