Summer Rhubarb and Blackberry Compote
- 1 lb
- rhubarb, ends trimmed, stalks rinsed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 c
- 1 c
- orange, juice of plus 3 strips orange zest
- 1 tsp
- rosewater, or more to taste
- 1 pt
- ripe blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries
How to Make Summer Rhubarb and Blackberry Compote
- 1Prepare the rhubarb. Bring the water to a boil with the sugar, cloves, and orange zest. Give a stir to dissolve the sugar, then reduce to a simmer, add the rhubarb, and cook it gently until it is just tender when pierced with a fork, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2Lift the rhubarb out of the pan with a slotted spoon and put it in a roomy bowl. Add the blackberries to the syrup for 30 seconds, then lift them out too and add them to the rhubarb.
- 3Raise the heat, add the orange zest to the liquid, and boil until syrupy, when fine bubbles appear over the surface, about 10 minutes. When the syrup has reduced, let it cool for 15 minutes, then stir in the rosewater. Pour the syrup over the fruit.
- 4Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled, plain, with whipped cream or over ice cream.