PNW Cranberry Sauce
1package cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 cred zinfandel wine (more may be needed later)
1/2 cbalsamic vinegar
4star anise pods
1 cdark brown sugar
1 Tbspblack peppercorns
1 tspwhole cloves
How to Make PNW Cranberry Sauce
- In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the cranberries, wine, balsamic, cinnamon sticks and anise pods.
- If you’re unsure about how sweet the sauce will be, begin with 1/2 cup sugar. The rest may be added later to taste.
- Use a tea ball or cheesecloth bag to hold the peppercons and cloves. Add to the pot.
- Bring the berries to boiling then reduce to medium-low. The cranberries will cook completely in 20-30 minutes, bursting and turning deep red.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, taste for sugar and stir in more as desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the spices sticks, pods and the peppercorns.
- Add more wine for a more pronounced Zinfandel flavor. Adjust the sugar, to taste.
- Store in a clean jar and it will last indefinitely refrigerated. But I'll bet it doesn't get uneaten that long. ;)