PNW Cranberry Sauce
- package cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 c
- red zinfandel wine (more may be needed later)
- 1/2 c
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 stick
- star anise pods
- 1 c
- dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- black peppercorns
- 1 tsp
- whole cloves
How to Make PNW Cranberry Sauce
- 1In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the cranberries, wine, balsamic, cinnamon sticks and anise pods.
- 2If you’re unsure about how sweet the sauce will be, begin with 1/2 cup sugar. The rest may be added later to taste.
- 3Use a tea ball or cheesecloth bag to hold the peppercons and cloves. Add to the pot.
- 4Bring the berries to boiling then reduce to medium-low. The cranberries will cook completely in 20-30 minutes, bursting and turning deep red.
- 5In the last few minutes of cooking, taste for sugar and stir in more as desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- 6Remove the spices sticks, pods and the peppercorns.
- 7Add more wine for a more pronounced Zinfandel flavor. Adjust the sugar, to taste.
- 8Store in a clean jar and it will last indefinitely refrigerated. But I'll bet it doesn't get uneaten that long. ;)