Sweet Tomato Paste
Temperature shown is for a fan-forced oven. If you are using a conventional oven, the rule of thumb is to add 20°C to the recommended temperature.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·3 kilo tomato, wash and cut up
·1/4 cup olive oil
·1 1/2 tbsp coarse sea salt + 1/2 tbsp
·1 tbsp white sugar + 1/2 tbsp
·1 tbsp olive oil
·1/4 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
How to Make Sweet Tomato Paste
- To make tomato paste wash and coarsely chop 3 kilos tomatoes; remove seeds and all liquid.
- Add olive oil to a large pan, then add the tomato, 1 1/2 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp sugar and cook for 15 minutes, then cool.
- Once cooled pour the tomato mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
Now pour the tomato mixture into a large greased pan and add the rest of the salt and sugar.
- Bake in a hot oven (fan 250) for 1 1/2 hours until mixture thickens, has darkened in color and has reduced by half.
- Taste and see if it needs more salt, if it does add more salt, then pour into a sterilized jar and top with olive oil and black pepper.