Sofrito- Puerto Rican cooking base (Recaito)
- 2 large
- cubanelle or medium green bell peppers
- half lb
- aji dulce or multicolored mini sweet peppers
- 2 medium
- white onions
- 1 c
- garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bunch
- cilantro, fresh
- 1 bunch
- recao (spiny cilantro/culantro). use another bunch of cilantro if you cannot find this.
How to Make Sofrito- Puerto Rican cooking base (Recaito)
- 1Wash and chop all ingredients into rough chunks. No need to remove the cilantro stems, as they are tender and flavorful.
- 2Using a food processor (a blender is not recommended), process sofrito, in batches if necessary, until finely incorporated, but not liquified.
- 3Using dedicated ice cube trays (don't use the trays for ice cubes after using for sofrito or your drink will taste BAD!), freeze sofrito in cubes, then, if desired, transfer to freezer bags for long term storage. Each cube is about a tablespoon, but measuring is not super important. Flavor is good, give or take a little! Fresh sofrito lasts about a week in the fridge. Just pop a cube or two or 3 into your saute pan to start your cooking, or thaw and stuff under chicken skin before roasting. The possibilities are endless!
- 4I have two other Puerto Rican recipes that feature sofrito- Sopa de Salchichon ("salami soup") and the official dish of Puerto Rico, Arroz con Gandules ("Rice with pigeon peas").