How to Seed and Juice a Pomegranate
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 large
- 1 small
- sharp knife
- mesh strainer or slotted spoon
- collander or strainer with small holes
- 1 small
- sharp knife
- bowls, 1 large, 1 small
- dark colored kitchen bowl
- chill, if desired, and enjoy.
- mesh strainer
- container for liquid
FOR SEEDING METHOD 1
FOR SEEDING METHOD 2
TO JUICE A POMEGRANATE
How to Make How to Seed and Juice a Pomegranate
- 1HOW TO SEED A POMEGRANATE: METHOD 1
Make a shallow slit at the top of the pomegranate where the knob/stem is (this part is known as the crown). Cut all the way around the top of the rind, creating a shallow circle. Don't push the knife in too deep, or you may burst some seeds.
- 2Pull the crown of the pomegranate off to reveal the inner seeds.
- 3Cut three shallow slits through the outer rind, following three of the white pith lines, from the top of the fruit to the bottom.
- 4Pull the fruit apart to create three large sections.
- 5Remove any large pieces of pith that are visible.
- 6Submerge the sections in a large bowl of cold water.
- 7Break apart the sections underneath the water, separating the seeds from the rind and pith. As you remove the seeds, they will sink to the bottom of the bowl. The pith will rise to the top and float. Discard the large chunks of rind (the peel).
- 8When all the seeds have been removed, use a mesh strainer or slotted spoon to remove the floating pieces of pith from the surface of the water. A few seeds may float as well; separate these out and return them to the bowl.
- 9Drain the seeds in a colander. Remove any additional pieces of pith that may have mixed into the seeds.
- 10HOW TO SEED A POMEGRANATE: METHOD 2
Place the pomegranate in one of the bowls. Place the other bowl nearby.
- 11Make a shallow slit at the top of the pomegranate around the crown. Cut all the way around the top of the rind, creating a shallow circle. Don't push the knife in too deep, or you may burst some seeds.
- 12Pull the crown of the pomegranate off to reveal the inner seeds.
- 13Turn the pomegranate over. Repeat the process of creating a narrow slit in the rind, cutting a circle around the base of the fruit.
- 14Pull the bottom off of the fruit.
- 15Turn the pomegranate back over. You will see six white strips of pith around the edges of the fruit. Cut slits in the sides of the rind, following the lines of the pith, from the top of the fruit to the bottom.
- 16Pull the fruit apart. You will now have 8 sections of fruit (including the top and the bottom), with the seeds fully exposed.
- 17Gently loosen the seeds from the pith and place them into the clean bowl. Keep a dark-colored towel handy to clean up any juice that might escape from the seeds. Careful, pomegranate juice can stain.
- 18Before long, you will have a bowl full of luscious pomegranate seeds! Discard the rind and the pith.
- 19HOW TO JUICE A POMEGRANATE
Place your pomegranate seeds in a blender.
- 20Pulse the seeds a few times to break them apart and release their juice. Don't blend them for a long period of time, or the seeds will break apart and create cloudy juice.
- 21Use a mesh strainer to strain the pomegranate liquid into a container.
- 22Use the back of a spoon to push against the pomegranate pulp and extract as much juice as possible.
- 23Chill, if desired, and enjoy.