Fresh Cherry Jam...and my super-duper secret tool!
But, my elderly neighbor saved the day when he returned from his home a few minutes later with a cherry pitting tool that he made in the wink of an eye.
Within minutes, I had pitted a huge bowl of cherries. By taking an old fork (the old-fashioned, heavy ones work best) he bent the tines & created the world's best, cheapest and quickest cherry pitter.
Take a look at my photo to see it's simple, yet efficient design!
How to Make Fresh Cherry Jam...and my super-duper secret tool!
- Add cherries, lemon juice and salt to slow cooker; stir gently and let stand for 15 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Sprinkle with fruit pectin.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
- Remove lid and turn to high and cook until jam reaches desired consistency. *** Since all crock pots cook differently, be sure to watch closely during this last step to avoid overcooking. Overcooking will make the jam bitter.
- Spoon into small, plastic canning storage containers and refrigerate or freeze for up to 2 months.
- *Original recipe from Food.Com