Black & Blue Jam
How to Make Black & Blue Jam
- Prepare your jars, start your lids to simmering and bring your canning pot to a boil.
- In a large pot, combine blueberries, blackberries and sugar. Stir well, set the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Pour in lemon juice and add lemon zest; stir well, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly and cook for 30 minutes or until it starts to thicken, stirring often.
- Add pectin, stir very well and bring the heat back to high; boil for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. To know if it’s ready, dip a metal spoon in an ice water bowl, dry it off and scoop up some jam. Let it cool off to room temperature. If it sets up, it’s ready otherwise cook a little longer. Keep in mind that as the jam cools and sets up, it will get thicker.
- Remove from the heat, fill the prepared jars, wipe rims, apply lids and screw bands, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove from water and allow jars to completely cool on a wire rack. Makes 7 jars of 250ml