My Tomato Gravy
J. White Harris
3 lbripe tomatoes
1/4 cpan drippings (bacon, ham, sausage, or even butter)
1 mediumonion, chopped
4 clovegarlic, finely chopped
4rounded tbsp all purpose flower
1 cstock, chicken or beef
1 Tbspsugar, optional
How to Make My Tomato Gravy
- Cut a small X in the blossom end of each tomato. Put tomatoes into boiling water for about 2 minutes. Remove from water and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle remove the skin and chop tomatoes into small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the pan drippings in a large heavy skillet. Add chopped onion and cook until just beginning to caramelize. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Mix together the flower, salt, and pepper. Slowly add this to the onion, stirring to mix well and to keep the flower from clumping together.
- Stir in the stock and the bay leaves.
- Add the reserved chopped tomatoes using a spatula to continue breaking apart the tomatoes and to keep anything from sticking to the skillet. Simmer this for about 15 minutes or until the desired thickness of the gravy is reached.
- When gravy is thickened, turn off the heat, and stir in the sugar if desired. Serve over biscuits, potatoes, or rice.