Pacific Northwest Spinach Salad
- 1/2 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp
- whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 c
- thinly sliced shallot
- 1/3 c
- sweetened dried cranberries
- 8 c
- lightly packed fresh baby spinach leaves, stemmed if needed
- firm but ripe bosc pears (do not peel), quartered lengthwise, cored, and cut into long, thin slices
- 2/3 c
- hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
How to Make Pacific Northwest Spinach Salad
- 1To make the dressing, in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to blend. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- 2Place the onions in a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Let stand for 15 minutes. This crisps the onion and takes away the raw onion taste. Drain well and pat dry on paper towels.
- 3In a small bowl, toss the cranberries with 2 tablespoons of the dressing to soften them. Set aside for 15 minutes or until ready to serve the salad.
- 4To assemble the salad, place the spinach, onions, and pears in a large bowl. Give the remaining dressing a last-minute shake and pour over the salad. Toss to coat evenly. Arrange the salad in a large serving bowl or divide it evenly among 8 salad plates. Scatter the cranberries and hazelnuts over the top(s). Serve immediately.