My Greek Village Salad
My addition of corn is optional. I had leftover corn from a Mexican dinner and thought of adding it to give my own touch. I don't remember how much I added so you can add as little or as much according to your taste or not at all.
- barley or whole wheat rusks
- tomatoes, peeled & finely chopped or diced
- cucumbers, peeled & finely diced
- green bell peppers,seeded & diced
- onions, finely chopped
- 1 c
- feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 1/2 c
- kalamata olives
- handful capers, rinced of brine
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 c
How to Make My Greek Village Salad
- 1Briefly wet rusks by holding them under running water or quickly dipping in a bowl of water. Crumble and place in salad bowl. Drizzle with half of the olive oil and season with very little salt. Don't forget you'll be adding Feta cheese later.
- 2Finely chop or dice tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers & onions. Place in salad bowl on top of rusk. Add the Feta cheese, Kalamata olives & capers. Sprinkle with oregano & freshly ground pepper and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil.
- 3Sometimes I don't have rusks but always have pita bread in my freezer. So if you can't find barley or wheat rusks. Grill a couple of pita breads, coarsely crumble and add to the salad bowl before the tomatoes to catch all the salad liquid. It might not be the traditional Cretan salad but it's pretty close and still Greek:)
KALI OREXI /ENJOY!!!