"Horiatiki Salata" Greek Village Salad
- ripe, tomatoes
- large onion
- green bell pepper
- 1/4 lb
- (113.5grams)greek feta cheese, sliced or crumbled
- dried greek oregano (rigani)
- extra virgin olive oil
- greek olives (kalamata, green cretan olives, etc.)
How to Make "Horiatiki Salata" Greek Village Salad
- 1Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber, and green pepper. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash, and dry.
Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks, removing the core.
Many cooks peel the tomatoes if the skins are tough; it's a personal call.
I would taste the feta cheese before adding salt to the salad as feta cheese is usually a salty cheese.
- 2Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting slices in half (whether or not you peel the cucumber is a personal choice). Salt lightly. Slice the pepper into rings, removing the stem and seeds. Slice the onion into thin rings.
- 3Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss. Just before serving, place the feta on top of the salad , either as a slice (as in photo) or crumbled , and toss in some olives.
- 4Sprinkle the cheese with oregano (and pepper if desired). Drizzle the oil over the top, and serve.
Capers: toss in a few if you like them.