grilled tunisian salade (Salata Mechouia)
How to Make grilled tunisian salade (Salata Mechouia)
- Recipe Method:
1) Grill the red peppers until the skins are blackended. If you have a gas stove you can char the skins over one of the rings. Set aside then peel and core when they are cool enough to handle.
- 2) Meanwhile place the chilli, garlic and tomatoes in a roasting dish and roast in a hot oven until the garlic is soft. You can remove the skins from the tomatoes and de-seed the chilli at this point if you wish.
- 3) Place all the vegetables in a blender or food processor - alternatively strain through a sieve.
- 4) Gently heat the caraway seeds and oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Then add to the vegetables and whiz to a paste.
- 5) Chill before serving. Serve in a bowl with quarters of hard boiled eggs, chunks of tuna fish or black olives.