Easy & Delicious Cucumber Salad, Hungarian Style
How to Make Easy & Delicious Cucumber Salad, Hungarian Style
- Peel cucumbers and slice wafer thin. Thinly slice onions.
- Place cucumbers into bowl. Mix cucumbers by hand with a lot of salt (this is necessary to draw the water from the cucumbers). Chill for 30 minutes or so.
- By hand, squeeze the moisture from the cucumbers ~ really wring them out! Place into colander and rinse.
- Return cucumbers to bowl and add sliced onions. Add about a cup of white vinegar.
Add about ½ cup of water. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Stir and taste. Adjust vinegar, sugar and salt to taste.
- If you find that you have added too much vinegar, add more water.
- Once you have achieved the flavor you want, drain off liquid until the liquid comes to only about ¼ inch under the cucumbers and onions.
- Sprinkle Hungarian paprika & ground black pepper over top of cucumbers ~~ Don’t mix!
- Chill and enjoy!
- *** Variation: After adjusting the spices for the last time, drain off all of the liquid. Stir in sour cream to the desired consistency. Top with Hungarian paprika and ground black pepper as above. Chill.