Cinnamon Apple Salad 1963
This is one of those simple but elegant recipes that gives a lovely presentation for a special occasion.
It could easily switch from "salad" to "dessert", too.
- 1 c
- 1 1/2 c
- 1/3 c
- cinnamon drops (tiny red candies)
- 1/2 tsp
- red food coloring (optional)
- 1 medium
- apple per person (any kind you like)
- lettuce leaf (or a small amount of shredded lettuce) per apple
- 2 Tbsp
- softened cream cheese per apple
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped walnuts (or pecans) per apple
IN A SAUCE PAN MAKE A SYRUP OF:
PARE AND CORE:
How to Make Cinnamon Apple Salad 1963
- 1Add apples to syrup and cook gently until just tender -- Baste the apples with the red syrup as they cook. Turn the apples from time to time so that they cook evenly on top and bottom. Slow boil for about 30 minutes.
NOTE: This should be enough syrup for 4-6 apples -- if you need more just had half again of the ingredients and make more!! It all cooks the same.
- 2Remove from syrup, drain, chill thoroughly (place them in a glass baking dish to put in the refrigerator and chill.)
- 3TO SERVE:
Place on lettuce leaf
Fill centers with softened cream cheese and nuts
- 4NOTE: the apple could also be cut in half for easier serving. Your choice. That way you simply put a dollop of the softened cream cheese and sprinkle with nuts on top to serve. The red cinnamon candies give the whole apple a lovely old fashioned red color.
- 5NOTE: Makes a lovely salad for a Christmas party or dinner -- you know: red apple, green lettuce... you could even add a sprig of parsley to add a touch of dark green to the plate.
- 6NOTE: When you remove the apples from the sauce pan, you will still have the syrup left and it is perfectly fine to cook more apples in the same syrup.