Amish Folk Medicine ~ Boils~
How to Make Amish Folk Medicine ~ Boils~
- Take the thin skin of a freshly broken egg and lay on the sore.
- Take a teaspoon of back strap molassas sprinkled lightly with cream of tartar, and consume twice a day.
- Drink Tea from Burdock
- Dip a hydrangea leaf in boiling water and apply to the boil.
- Apply finely chopped comfrey root to the boil.
- Mix 4 oz sublimed sulphur with 16 oz honey. Take 1 teaspoon internally at bedtime.
- Make a liniment from black oitment. (doesn't say what black oitment is)
- Drink red clover blossom tea
- Make a poultice from linseed oil, honey, and flour and apply to boil
- Take caparrel leaf capsules.
- here are two recipes that are used for this:
Poultice for sores and boils
1/2 cup beeswax grated fine
1 cup lard (Goose in best)
1 teaspoon powdered resin.
Melt together slowly over stove then cool before applying.
Green Mountain Salve
1 oz resin
1 oz beeswax
4 oz mutton tallow **
Heat until melted then add
1 dram vertergris
allow to cool then roll and flatten to apply to the wound
**(Mutton tallow is a natural product with a relatively long shelf life. As a skin care product, it penetrates the skin, providing more softening power than petroleum-based products, which sit on top of the skin. )