Mama Porkpie's Dog Food for Little Fatties
2 1/2 lbground chicken (2-20 oz packages) or you could use
2 1/2 lbground turkey (2-20 oz packages)
4 can(s)vegetables (15 oz) (beets, carrots, green beans, peas, mixed, spinach, lima beans - have fun!)
1 1/2 cuncooked brown rice
1 bunchparsley (this is the pain of the recipe!)
How to Make Mama Porkpie's Dog Food for Little Fatties
- This recipe, as is, yields approximately 4-5 quarts, which is more than a small or medium-sized dog can consume while it remains good in the refrigerator. Therefore, the first step is to go to the dollar store and buy 8-10 pint-sized freezer containers. Heck, spend a lot more money and buy Tupperware if you want. Or if you are particularly ambitious, pack the finished product into canning jars and seal them. I prefer to just freeze it in pint containers until ready for use.
- Also use this time to prepare the parsley. THE DREADED PARSLEY!! This part is important. First clean it as you normally would, then remove all the large stems so that what you have left are just the tiny sprigs. Then transfer the sprigs to your food processor. If you don't have one, get out your biggest, sharpest knife and start chopping. The parsley needs to be VERY finely chopped. If not, you will find it all over the floor after Fido's feeding time. Babies don't like the texture of whole parsley and will spit it out. It is, however, good for their breath and digestion and it's very low-cal.
- When the rice is done and has been taken off the heat, open the lid and add the meat, stir well.
- Add all the vegetables, stir well.
- Add the parsley. Mix thoroughly.