Roast Duck with Marmalade Glaze
With a beautiful combination of ingredients, this dish is perfect to serve for any occasion, impressing your guests!
5 to 6 lbyoung duck, giblets removed, rinsed and pat dried
·ground himalayan sea salt, to taste
·freshly ground black pepper, to taste (i always use mixed peppercorns)
1 largenavel orange, cut into big pieces
1 largewhite onions, cut into big pieces
1 largelemon, cut into big pieces
2 Tbspchinese 5 spice
1/2 tsphot paprika
1/2 corange juice
1/4 tspginger, minced
1 smallclove garlic, pressed
1 Tbspbrown sugar such as demerara, or to taste
How to Make Roast Duck with Marmalade Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Rinse duck thoroughly inside and out under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove excess skin around the neck – keep to make duck crackling.
- Generously season the cavity with salt and black pepper. Stuff the bird with orange, onion and lemon pieces. Tie legs with kitchen twine to secure the stuffing. Using a sharp knife, score the skin on the breast side making sure not to cut into the meat (for a fancier look, make a diamond pattern).
- Rub Chinese 5 spice evenly on the duck and sprinkle hot paprika on top. Place the bird, breast side up, on a roasting pan with a rack. Cover loosely with foil and transfer to the preheated oven. Roast 25 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- To make the glaze; in a saucepan over medium-low heat, add marmalade, orange juice, ginger and garlic. Stir well before processing with an immersion blender just enough to break down most of the peels. When warm, taste and adjust if needed. If the glaze tastes bitter, add brown sugar. Turn off the heat and set aside until duck is cooked.
- When the bird is done; take it out of the oven, remove the foil and spoon on 3 to 4 tablespoons of the glaze; brush it on evenly. Return the duck to the oven and cook for an additional 15 minutes to caramelize the glaze.
- When time is up, remove from the heat and spoon on the remaining glaze; brush it on evenly. Cover loosely with the foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve 4
About Roast Duck with Marmalade Glaze
Course/Dish: Wild Game
Main Ingredient: Wild Game
Regional Style: Canadian