Hot water pastry
How to Make Hot water pastry
- Place flour and salt in bowl and mix
- Boil water and lard or oil together
- Add the boiling water oil mix to flour and stir. You can use hands to mix good when it's cool enough to touch. It will be hot!
- When mixed well you can work it. Ya want to work while it's still warm so it won't crack. It will be about the consistency of playdough.
You can press into a pan or even mold around a jelly jar or form of your choice. If forming around something allow to cool before removing form or jar. Then fill and bake
You can sculpt by hand
- Once formed fill with your meat. If using ground meats add season and onion.. you can get creative .. Make a ball of raw meat mix and stuff down into crust. if using other meats keep meat around an inch cube so it will cook through.
Top with a disk of dough sealing the edges.. Cut slots in top for steam
- Bake 400° for 30 minutes lower oven to 325° and continue to bake until a nice dark golden brown and juices of meat are bubbling through depending on size 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours at 325 for large pies.