Betty's Egg FREE Spanakopita
Yes, you read correctly. Slice the Spanakopita into pieces before baking.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1 kilo filo pastry (2 pounds) two packets
·2 bunches of fresh spinach, stems chopped off and washed very well
·1 bunch dill
·1 bunch flat leaf parsley
·1/2 bunch mint
·1 kilo (2 pounds) full fat ricotta cheese
·1/2 bunch green onions (spring onions/scallions)
·1 kilo (2 pounds) feta cheese - greek is best not creamy dutch!
·1 teaspoon freshly grated pepper
·1/2 cup melted butter - for pastry
How to Make Betty's Egg FREE Spanakopita
- Pre-heat oven to 190oC (375oF). Grease a LARGE slab tin.
- Chop the spinach and gently heat over a medium heat in a saucepan until just wilted. Rinse with cold water (so you can handle it, or leave it to cool) and squeeze it out, removing as much water as possible.
- Finely chop the dill, parsley, mint, green onions and feta and place into LARGE bowl. Add the ricotta, pepper and wilted spinach. Use your hands to mix well - I like to use kitchen gloves as this is messy!
- Unravel the first pack of filo pastry. Divide into three equal, lots - keeping the layers intact. Place one lot down in the base of the prepared tin and brush with melted butter. Add the next layer and repeat. Add the last layer and pour the filling in. Use your hands to flatten. Repeat the process with the filo pastry for the topping and generously brush the top (exposed) layer of filo with butter.
- Using a sharp knife - cut the Spanakopita into peices (I like squares) and bake in the prepared oven for 35 - 45 minutes. Leave to cool for 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Best enjoyed the day baked.